Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sustainable Living

Different ways of doing things.

I have been thinking about living a more sustainable life for a while now.  Starting has been slow going with all the research I have been doing along the way.  I want to do things right and I don’t want to get overwhelmed by going to fast. I know I could be doing better and get to the end result much quicker than I am at now, but there are things that hold me back and that keep me conflicted.

Is it better to throw out a bottle of cleaner or bottle of shampoo than to wait until it is all used up?  Is it really that safe to ride my bike on the busy city streets where there are no bike lanes? Is vinegar really a safe and effective cleanser for the kitchen.

I no longer buy paper towels
I no longer use shampoo or conditioner
I no longer buy moisturizer
I use only vinegar as a cleanser in the bathroom
I use a steam mop to clean my floors and don’t use chemicals any longer.
I keep the thermostat in the house below 70 degrees and it is programmed that when we are asleep or away it is down to 65 degrees.
We no longer have a bath tub in the house and only have quick showers.
We eat at least 3 meals a week that are vegetarian or vegan

This is only a small effort so far but at least it is progressing in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment