Sunday April 10th 2011 I awoke with a burning desire for an adventure. It was a lovely day and the temperature was to go up to at least 20 degrees, and it would be a shame to spend the day indoors doing laundry and cleaning the house.
Sam was up first and I discussed my idea with him. Of course he was game; my boy is always up for an adventure, especially when it involves
and midway games and mini golf. Niagara Falls
Shawn would be the difficult one to convince, since he would be the one driving. How often do we get the chance to have a day of fun and adventure, when we do not have prearranged appointments or plans? A day doing nothing should at least be spent doing something fun.
Now that the day is over and we did indeed have a great time, here are the things I noticed upon reflection.
- An hour and a half car ride goes by much more quickly when you listen to a book on tape. The only drawback was that conversation was at a minimum and we as a family love to talk.
- We had a long conversation about the power of nature and how it is able to draw a crowd. My thought was that when you have such massive and beautiful natural wonders, there are no way buildings or parking lots or strip malls can be built on top of it and there are so few of these places left in the world. Shawn’s thought was that locations like this are a constant reminder to us that nature is not to be controlled by man.
- Sometimes there is nothing better than a root beer float made to perfection with the correct ratio of root beer to ice cream. We explained this to the woman behind the counter that made our drinks and complemented her and she told us that her parents owned an A&W drive in when she was young. There is something to be said for learning a craft well, even if said craft is a root beer float.
- Playing midway games is exciting and fun, but as a parent that has paid twenty dollars, it is hard to remember the fun after the fact when the prizes your son comes away with are a Frisbee, a tiny plastic dinosaur and a green electric guitar key chain. To him it was not about the prizes it was about the bright flashing lights and the games of chance and playing with his parents. The prizes at the end were just an extra added bonus.
- Playing mini golf is best when you win, but much better when there are no egos involved and you are there just to have fun.
- Eating too much pineapple is never a good thing.
- Spending time as a family laughing and having fun is a rarity these days and that must change.